Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood....

Good Morning girls! One of the girls most favorite things to do in the morning is to be able to "sleep" abit longer in mommy & daddy's bed before going to school. The enjoy watching whatever is on Nickelodien (sp?. This morning was Max & Ruby....they hang out drink their milk and wait for me to come bother them to get dressed and do their hair. It was a good morning today though....everyone was in good moods. We've been trying to get the girls to go to sleep earlier - that's kinda hard when it's still light out at nearly 8:30 pm. I can remember being a little kid living in Grand Rapids and in the summer time up there I swear the sun never went down. My sister and I shared a room in our tiny house which had no a/c (up there we didn't really need it much). The picture of the house is where we moved when my family first moved up to Grand Rapids, MN in the summer of 1976. My parents would put a small box fan in our window backwards as if to "pull" the hot air out of our room - I still remember it being blue and really quite noisy because it had a metal frame. It was so hard to fall asleep because we were first of all mad about having to go to bed when it was still daylight to us and to top it off we could hear other kids still playing outside! ugh! That was no fun. One thing that was fun though was when we got abit older - Mom & Dad let Jill and I litterally move out to the camper in the summer time. We would get to sleep outside nearly every night all summer long! It was much cooler out there and way more fun too! I swear we had every stuffed animal out there that we owned too. Now that was a good time! My dad would occasionally come outside and try to scare us though by scratching at the camper and making noises - the first couple times it worked till we caught him! We had some fun times! I hope our girls think that they had some fun times as a kid too when they are grown. I hope they remember playing dress up, having tea parties, going to the zoo and playing in the pool. Hope you enjoy their little movie tonight - they were taking Maggie for a walk - mind you accessories were put on all by themselves tonight...so cute! Hope you have fun making family memories that will last a life time and shared for years to come!

3 comments:

MC said...

ok birthday girl, i tagged your blog! check out my blog for your assignment.

kelly Martin said...

Jodi,
I love that you have a picture of the house you grew up in!!! I have memories similar to the ones you had, and most of them involve playing outside or camping outside or something......outside.
I'm like you, I hope we are doing things that the kids will remember, and that they will think back and have that comforting, nostalgic feeling we do. I worry that their not....outside enough getting really dirty and using their imaginations.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the house you grew up in.
I wonder the same things about how our kids will remember their childhood...things are different now, much more structured. All the memories I have are of us roaming the neighborhood during the summer, having all this free time, being tended by inexperienced thirteen-year-olds, and just LOOKING for things to do! Hey and the camper thing would have been REALLY cool!