Sunday, September 28, 2008

favorite memories....



Funny the things you remember from when you were a kid. I'm sure if you sit and think about some of the earliest memories that you have all they would do is make you smile and I bet the involve family! I know that mine do! You know growing up in Fremont Nebraska had some great advantages for my sister and I while growing up. We were so close to grandparents on both sides of our family, aunts, uncles and cousins too! My parents did all that they could to try and get ahead in life and often times when I was real little my dad worked at Hormel and then evenings when he wasn't there (and lots of times weekends too) he and my Mom had their own little business going - they had a lawn service, painted houses and cleaned a few of the banks in town. I can remember going to the bank with them sometimes and it was my "job" to get the waist baskets under the desk and dump them into the big trash can...also another big job I had was to watch out for the vaccuum cord so it didn't get stuck somewhere and mom or dad have to stop. Sometimes when they would have a night job my sister and I would get to go to Grandma Johnson's house. Now, my Grandma and Grandpa lived in what I thought (becuase keep in mind I was under 5 yrs. old) was one of the biggest houses I'd ever been in - it was an old farm house...it was white and had a small porch on the back and a very squeeky screen door. The kitchen and bathroom floors were tile - and very cold might I add. One of my favorite memories of being at Grandmas's house (and there are many might I add) was when she would make a tent for Jill and I in her kitchen by putting a big sheet or blanket over the kitchen table! She would give us the baby marshmellows (the rainbow colored ones) in these small orange tupperware cups for a treat! She would come under there with us and play and read stories to us! There's nothing like being in a tent with Grandma! So, as you can see by the pictures the tradition goes on....only today it was in Samantha's room in her bed before church! Sydney and Samantha were having just as much fun playing together as Jill and I did when we were probably the same ages! There are so many days that I wish I could just bottle up these memories and keep them forever for them (and neal and I too)...I guess this is the best way I can find. So, take a minute - yes, I know we are all really busy but, try to remember your earliest memories and enjoy! Have a blessed day!

No comments: